from the root of lie:
akin to «Linux-Kernel» and »CM- CM.- files.-CM legal».
A law is that which is laid, set, or fixed: like statuere to make to stand.
1. In general,
a rule of being or of conduct, established by an authority able to enforce its will;
a controlling regulation;
the mode or order according to which
an agent or a power acts.
A law may be universal or particular, written or unwritten, published or secret. From the nature of the highest laws a degree of permanency or stability is always implied;
but the power which makes a law, or a superior power, may annul or change it.
These are the statutes and judgments and laws, which the Lord made. --Lev. xxvi.
2. To lead,
as a commander «to direct»: «to manage» «to carry on» as, «to conduct» the affair of a kingdom. Little skilled in the art of conducting a siege.
3. To behave: -- with the reflexive: as he conducted himself well.
4. (Physics) To serve as a medium for conveying: to transmit, as «head» «light» «electricity» etc.
5. Knowledge of principles and causes, Ascertained truth facts to be extended to all and every part of the world.
6. Any branch or department of systematized knowledge considered as a distinct field of investigation or object of study; as, the science of astronomy, of chemistry, or of mind.
7. Good sense, which only is the gift of Heaven. And though no science, fairly worth the seven.